March 15, 2020
Dear Alberta Adventist Members,
We are issuing this brief statement to let you know that we are aware of and have been following the latest update from Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, accompanied by Premier Jason Kenney today, March 15, 2020, at 4:40 PM (MST).
You may watch and read the full statement made by the Chief Medical Officer here https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=69818C355F188-C2A3-F5C6-875A2A33929D5C05.
We want to assure you that we are doing everything we can to ensure the health and safety of our employees, members, and students.
What you need to be aware of and that affects us immediately are the following:
- Effective immediately, student attendance at schools is prohibited.
- In-person post-secondary classes are cancelled. Campuses will remain open.
- All licensed childcare facilities, out-of-school care programs and preschool programs are closed indefinitely.
- All long-term care and other continuing care facilities are advised to limit visitation to essential visitors only.
- Places of worship are no longer exempt from restrictions on mass gatherings.
- Seventeen additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Alberta, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 56. Three of the new cases are in the Edmonton zone, and 14 are in the Calgary zone.
- At least two cases identified in the last two days appear to have been acquired through community transmission from an unknown source, and seven cases occurred as a result of a single gathering in the Calgary zone.
As Conference Administrators, we will be meeting in the days ahead with church and education leaders to discuss the implications of the recent announcement further. Stay tuned for further updates as they become available.
Alberta Conference Administration
Gary Hodder, Wayne Williams, Keith Richter
Download PDF version of this file HERE